Advice to Future Staff

Ashley Swedlund, Reporter

The 2019-2020 year was my first and last year being a part of the Morton Ranch Highschool Newspaper staff. This past year has been anything but uneventful, from just four people carrying the load of an entire staff, having to switch our newspaper advisor in the middle of the year, and then having to end the year early due to the Coronavirus. I only hope the following years will be easier for the incoming newspaper staff. But until then, here is some advice to the future staff.

To start off, being in the newspaper is very easy, but it’s only a matter of continuing to stay caught up with your articles and keeping up current events around the school and Katy ISD for ideas to write articles about. It is very important to keep yourself updated with anything that is happening around the school, especially during the homecoming court nominations, homecoming king and queen elections, teacher appreciation and prom.

Also, be sure to think out-of-the-box for articles ideas when there’s not any major news that you can cover. Write about clubs, activities and classes that may not be known about and help shed light on those organizations. For example, I wrote about the perks of taking a dual-credit class, and how it helped me, and a couple of other students feel more prepared for college classes. There are many organizations within the school that could benefit from a feature in the MRHS Newspaper, don’t just focus on the primary sports and electives!

Being friends with the rest of the staff also helped me a lot with writing my articles. For the 2019-2020 year, it was easy to be friends with the rest of the staff because there were only four of us, so it might not be the same for the future staff. But nevertheless, the rest of the staff did help me through the year by being there for bouncing ideas off of and encouraging me to actually write. 

It’s really easy to fall behind in Newspaper because you have an entire week to write each article, and it gets easy to put it off until the last minute. I’m guilty of turning in articles very late for those exact reasons. Everyone has a different way of overcoming and avoiding procrastination altogether, but an something that always pushed me to eventually turn in articles is that the Maverick Star does depend on you turning in those articles on time just for the sake of keeping the Newspaper flowing with fresh content, so it’s important for staff to turn in their assignments on time.

Just like any other class, being a part of the Maverick Star posed its own set of challenges, but being a part of a team, a team working for the same goal, was worth the challenges. To be successful in Newspaper is to think outside of the box and try not to repeat articles and features that have already been done before. Even though I was in Newspaper for only a year, it was an experience that I wouldn’t trade for anything.