A Thank You Letter to MRHS

Kayley Swedlund, Editor/Reporter

To say the least, this year has been really weird. The coming threat of COVID-19 started early, but we had no idea that the year ended with us doing our classwork on our computers at home. We had no idea that the day before spring break was the last time we were going to see some of our friends at school. And we did not know that the spread of the Pandemic would affect our school year this much.  

This is my goodbye letter. Probably when this letter is posted, we are probably wanting nothing to do with school, and that is completely understandable. But I would like to say thank you to some people who made my high school memorable. 

I want to thank all my friends I had throughout high school. Even if we may not be as close as we were in Freshman year, you still played a part that helped me grow into the person I am right now. I’m glad I had some good laughs with you all.

I want to say thank you to all of my teachers, those who may have left and those who are still part of Morton Ranch High School. Just because I hated the subjects, I respected all of my teachers that I had through high school and had to put up with my procrastinating self.  I would also like to thank all the teachers who had to change their classes to fit for online school. I know all of you had to be really flexible with the sudden change of teaching. All of the teachers that schedule Zoom meetings almost everyday to help students learn the course subject. It shows that you are committed to helping students learn, rather than getting a grade. 

I want to thank the Maverick Band especially. The band hall has given me a place to stay ever since the start of Marching band in freshman year. It’s crazy how fast the four years have flown. I had no idea that my time with the band was cut short. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I will miss all the marching rehearsals after school, even the tedious ones. I will miss all the football games that made me laugh and cheer, and all of the cadences that the percussion played, and the stand tunes that always needed more low brass (in my opinion, of course.) The Maverick Band was a family to me, people that I saw everyday, enduring the same struggles I was enduring. Being in band has taught me responsibility, leadership and dedication. I don’t want to say the name out loud, but my Honors Band director is an awesome person, and will email her a letter to say how thankful I am to have her as my band director for my last year of high school. 

I  also want to say thank you to the Newspaper. I am so honored that I was a part of this small but extremely talented team of people who want to share the stories of MRHS. I’m glad I was able to be part of this team and even hold the title of Editor-and-chief. Thank you to both of the Journalism advisers I had the honor of knowing and led the yearbook and Newspaper teams. Thank you for putting up with my excuses about why I haven’t turned in my article on time, I appreciate the patience. I know now that hitting deadlines are important and I promise I will get the hang of it. 

I know I’m not well known around the school, but if anyone reads this, I want to Thank you for making my high school experiences one to remember for the rest of life. I will always be glad I was part of this school.

I know that I will leave as a Maverick Graduate, and I’m proud to call myself one. Thank you. 

Kayley Swedlund