• Congratulations to the district! Katy ISD named AP District of the Year!

Filed under Entertainment

The End Game or Just the Beginning?

Back to Article
Back to Article

The End Game or Just the Beginning?

*DISCLAIMER: If you haven’t watched “The Avengers: End Game”, there are some spoilers ahead.*

Thanos, the mad titan, the wielder of the infinity gauntlet. The villain we’ve all come to know is finally defeated. The culmination of a 22-movie saga, the Marvel cinematic universe, is now looking at a daunting future and trying to follow it up.

What comes next? Many of the fan favorite heroes of the past year are no longer around following the battle with Thanos, either perished fighting or gave up the hero lifestyle afterward. The universe-threatening villain that was built up over a decade is gone. Where do they take the stories from here?

For the remaining heroes, they still have many more stories to tell. The next confirmed movie to come out of the Marvel Pipeline is “Spiderman: Far From Home”. Set to come out July of this year, it will be the sequel to “Spiderman: Homecoming”. It also serves to believe that it is only the second movie in what is expected to be a trilogy of Spiderman films.

Most of the major heroes receive trilogies. Ironman was the first with “Iron Man, “Iron Man 2”, and “Iron Man 3”, Thor and Captain America followed with “Thor”, “Thor: Dark World” and “Thor: Ragnarok” and then “Captain America: The First Avenger”, “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” and “Captain America: Civil War”.

“Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 3” is already confirmed, but this would lead us to believe that not only will Ant Man end up getting another movie, but it sets up the possibility that Dr. Strange, Black Panther and Captain Marvel will each receive two movies more a piece. That is enough movies with characters we know and love for a long time.

That doesn’t mean that we won’t see some of the pre-established characters stick around. Thor is poised to ride around and become a sort of wayward member of the Guardians of the Galaxy and can be expected to show up in their next movie. That being said, he is the only hero that has had a trilogy that is in talks for more solo movies.

“Thor: Ragnarok” was such a success that Marvel is in talks with “Ragnarok” director Taika Waititi to come back and make a direct sequel to that Thor title. Waititi took Thor down a more comedic route and getting the chance to see what he does with him a second time would be awesome.

New characters are expected to be introduced and with them new series. A group called The Eternals that pulls many aspects from Greek mythology is set to finish filming in early 2020. The Eternals storyline directly leads to the introduction of Thanos to the universe (He is the son of some characters of the Eternals storyline).

Another new property set to come out is a movie centered around martial arts master Shang-Chi, and it would center around his journey to become a master and how he transitions into crime fighting.

Apart from all the movies that are set to come out, many shows are on the way as well. Disney+ is a streaming service that is going to be the home to many shows revolving around heroes like the New Captain America (previously Falcon) and the Winter Soldier, WandaVision (following Scarlet Witch and Vision) and Hawkeye as he trains Kate Barnes. They are also including some shows about villains, specifically Loki.

While some characters may be gone, their stories live on through new experiences and new heroes. Marvel will still keep making fantastic stories for their fans, and the ones they’ve already made will continue to stand the test of time as storytelling gems that were able to encapsulate the globe over the dire situations of many heroes and one mad titan.