Student Musicians Take Risks

Like many things, music is one of the key things that plays into our everyday lives, whether it’s major or minor. People often have a song that reminds them of a certain place, time or even person.

Here at Morton Ranch, there are some students that create their music and want to implement that same key element in people’s everyday lives, whether they’re glorified or not. These people are willing to defy the odds of being ridiculed in search of expressing themselves through music.

Miguel Calderon (11) is one of these students. Also known as Evoson, he is trying to make his mark on hip hop music by spreading his own sound and creativity through the influences of his experiences.

He started his music by reflecting on life challenges, like depression and other dark states.

“I would hear some messages that people would say, but not enough or in a bigger limelight, which is what I want to put in my music,” Miguel said.

He controls his criticism and certain audiences by acting on them. He said that if he doesn’t get criticism, he’s not doing something right.

“I take everyone’s criticism as a way to improve myself as a person and a musician,” he said.

He has friends and others who give him genuine critiques before releasing music. He was told by friends in the past that it was just a phase or a weird period in my life, but he truly believes it can be something bigger.

Another person who wants to strive in the music field is Giovani Chanaba (11). Also coined as GXC, he has stirred up a lot of noise in recent weeks following his releases “Home” and “Grow Up.”

He started around the age of 7 with influence from different instruments, such as the piano.

“I wrote songs about stupid stuff, like the seasons or things that were just basic at the time,” Giovani said.

Recently though, his grandmother passed away, giving way to a new realization in his life that life is short. As a result, in December he started making music, publishing it on different streaming networks, such as Spotify, Apple Music and Tidal. He describes his music as having no boundaries to the sound.

“My drums will be in one style, and everything else can vary,” he said.

As a result of this, he thinks that it grows his audience, because people like different things. His goal is to go all the way to the top, and he also believes in the motto that “you have to put in money to get it out”. His biggest goal with his music is simply to move and relate to people. His latest song released on April 4.

Lastly, Wilfredo Vargas (10) has taken a different route by creating ironic and comedic music rather than what’s deemed normal to most. He started making comedic songs with jokes and often sly-personal digs at himself as a joke at first. Then his friends started taking it a bit more seriously knowing that it was still for comedic purposes.

He said that people criticize him, but he thinks they’re completely missing the point of the music.

“It’s comedic. Sometimes I get it, because I can be comedically-serious, so it would be confusing to others,” Wilfredo said.

He doesn’t have plans to take this endeavor far. However, he takes it as a joke and thinks it’s “coming to an end.” He said that everyone wants him to continue and release new stuff, but he’s just slowing down.

“The future is probably going to be dark; I don’t see much in this project,” he added.

At Morton Ranch, there are lots of voices and ideas just waiting to be spread or expressed in some way or form. Music being one of them seems to be the most intriguing and powerful one, regardless of what way people perceive their music.

These students are taking risks to make their ideas into realities. Music unites us all, and that sense of unity only grows throughout our school.