• Congratulations to the district! Katy ISD named AP District of the Year!

Frederica Freestyles Success

Back to Article
Back to Article

Frederica Freestyles Success

Aileen Rivera

Aileen Rivera

Aileen Rivera

As all students know, school takes up a lot of time; more than we want it to. No one likes having to sit down after a long day and start to work on homework.

This is further true with advanced classes. AP classes are notorious for being rife with homework. Those who are in extra-curriculars know how long meetings can run and how demanding their organizations can be. Athletes who juggle practices, games or meets and schoolwork have little time to themselves.

One of the highest ranked students in the school, Frederica Kizek is able to juggle all these and be extremely successful in each, even going as far as State for swimming where she finished fourth in the state for the 500 freestyle.

Frederica said, “The best way I’ve found to handle practices and school is setting a schedule and sticking to it. It may seem robotic, but like anything, after months of the same routine i’m able to be more efficient with my time. Most days I have high school practice before school and club practice after school. With that in mind, I don’t have that much time for homework, so I prioritize my work and go from there.”

She is able to remain successful with this loaded schedule, because she plans. Discipline leads to success, and Frederica plans to succeed in everything she does. That being said, she is still a high school student, the same as anyone else.

“I’m definitely not perfect and find myself procrastinating all the time, but I’d like to think I manage my time pretty well with a mental schedule,” she said.

That time management has paid off. Frederica has found much success in swimming this year. She set the school record for 500 freestyle race with a time of 4:53.21 at Regionals, a record she broke after previously setting it herself. Her success is rewarding her outside of just high school.

“I plan on swimming at a Division I university next year,” Frederica said. “I’m super grateful to have been recruited by college coaches to swim on their teams, so I definitely plan on continuing swimming in college. I still have a lot of love for the sport, so I think it’s a good thing for me to continue swimming in college.”

For many athletes, playing at a Division I school is a goal they can only dream of. She worked hard towards that goal with swimming, both in school and out of school in a club. Her hard work and success in swimming starts from much earlier in life when she first began swimming with her siblings.

“When I was around six, my older sister was diagnosed with scoliosis, which required her to wear a back brace for most of the day,” she said. “Her doctors recommended that she start swimming to stay fit; the water wasn’t harsh on her spine at all. So, naturally, when my sister started swimming, my mom put my brother and I into it as well. My siblings and I did recreational swimming and summer league. It wasn’t until eighth grade when I started to swim on a competitive team. It was a big change from swimming for fun to racing at meets.”

Being a senior in highschool and having swam for so long, Frederica has experience at juggling all that without dropping any one part of her life. She leaves off with advice for any swimmers or students out there also trying to handle everything going on in their lives.

“To any swimmers, the biggest thing I can say is love what you do,” she said. “Swimming is an extremely demanding sport, physically and mentally, but the results from your hard work are truly worth it. As long as you love the sport, there’s no doubt you’ll continue to be successful. To any students, high school is a small portion of your life so try not to blow it out of proportion and take everything so seriously. That’s not to say you shouldn’t challenge yourself with a few rigorous courses but remember to have fun and relax from time to time.”