• Congratulations to Teacher of the Year, Darren Bunte!

News Brief (2/25 to 3/5)

Monday, Feb. 25

• The White House is planning to create a working group comprised of specific federal scientists to reconsider the determination that the burning of fossil fuels is bad for the planet, The Washington Post reported.
  • R. Kelly pleads not guilty to all counts of sexual assault.
  • Over the weekend, an Amazon Prime Air cargo plane operated by Atlas Air crashed into a swampy area about 30 miles from George Bush International Airport, killing three people.

Tuesday, Feb. 26

• The Democrat-controlled House voted Tuesday on a resolution seeking to overturn President Trump’s declaration of a national emergency on the U.S.-Mexico border.
  • Senate voted on the “Born-Alive” bill, which guarantees medical care to infants who survived failed abortions.
  • The Maverick boys basketball team, after a history-making season, fell to the Elkins Knights in the playoffs with a score of 66 to 70.

Wednesday, Feb. 27

• The U.S. demanded a full accounting of N. Korea nuclear program.
  • The former lawyer for President Trump, Michael Cohen, gave a scathing testimony against the president in front of Congress.

Thursday, Feb. 28

• Trump met with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Vietnam.

Friday, March 1

• Khloe Kardashian accused Jordyn Woods of being the reason her family broke up.
  • The Jonas Brothers officially reunited and released a new single called “Sucker”.

Saturday, March 2

• Trump said he will sign executive order for free speech on college campuses.
  • A poster showing a photograph of Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) beneath an image of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks sparked outrage.
  • President Trump spoke at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) on Saturday, and the president acknowledged early in his remarks that he was going off script because “this is how I got elected,” and, “if we don’t go off script, our country is in big trouble.”

Sunday, March 3

• A tornado in Alabama and surrounding areas killed at least 14 people.
  • The Sacramento police officers who shot and killed Stephon Clark will not face charges.
  • The Iditarod, an annual long distance sled dog race in Alaska, kicked off Sunday
  • A rare tornado emergency issued as ‘large and destructive’ hit Alabama, killing at least 23 people and injuring more.

Monday, March 4

• Much of the U.S. experienced extreme winter weather, causing many schools to close on Monday.
  • For just the second time since the global epidemic began, a patient appears to have been cured of infection with H.I.V., the virus that causes AIDS.
  • The Texas Senate unanimously passed $5,000 teacher pay raises, adding librarians as well. The proposal faces future challenges, with many saying the issue should be left up to the school district.

Tuesday, March 5

• Cities around from the world, from New Orleans to Rio De Janeiro, celebrated the last day of Carnival season. Those closer to home call today Mardi Gras, the last day before Ash Wednesday and the Lenten season begins.