• Congratulations to Teacher of the Year, Darren Bunte!

Far Out: New space discoveries unravel the vast unknown

As we continue to move forward in technology, we continue to move forward in exploring what the universe has to offer.

It is true to say we have discovered a very, very, I mean, really very small fraction of the endless universe. The percentage is unknown, but all the stars, planets and galaxies that can be seen today make up just 4 percent of the universe.

With this said, an international team of astronomers have come together to make a startling discovery and find almost a third of a million unseen galaxies. More than 200 astronomers from 18 countries worked together on the Low Frequency Array (LOFAR) telescope in the Netherlands to complete the findings.

To some people, just thinking about the endless span of outer space is terrifying to think about.

“There is so much more that we didn’t know about before,” said junior Sophia Chacon, who was shocked about the speedy discovery of the thousands planets. “And they found this all in one day? That means our technology is getting a lot better.”

To other people, the idea of exploring space seems exhilarating.

“It’s exciting really,” said junior Emma Rodriquez, a student who takes a ESS class, otherwise known as Earth, Space and Science. “Because I’m thinking that we can find any form of life in any of these galaxies as well as traces of water.”

There is no atmosphere in space, which means that sound has no medium or way to travel to be heard, and there is the possibility that our planet will collide with another planet in another billion years. But it’s the unpredictable things that outer space holds which are the most scary to think about.

‘It scares me, but in a pretty cool way.” Rodriguez said. “I feel like if we go to space, it will just be relaxed and cool, other than pending doom.”

As far as space facts go, this is pretty impressive. Research by Yale University scientists suggested that a rocky planet called 55 Cancrie — which has a radius twice Earth’s and a mass eight times greater – may have a surface made up of graphite and diamond.

With this new discovery of the thousands of galaxies we found, at this rate, the possibility of finding a diamond planet or space whales is endless. We continue our advancements in technology as we dive deeper in our knowledge of outer space and how space grows bigger as we continue to strive to learn more.