• Congratulations to Teacher of the Year, Darren Bunte!

Filed under Local news, News

The President’s National Emergency: The government’s response to the declaration

The Democratic House of Representatives, led by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, passed a resolution to block President Trump’s executive order on Tuesday, Feb. 26.  The resolution passed by a vote of 245 to 182, with 13 Republicans joining the Democrats to oppose the president.

This comes after President Trump immediately declared a national emergency over the issue of his southern border wall on Friday, Feb. 15. Trump plans to direct money from the military, the U.S. Treasury and other sources to provide the necessary funds for his border wall, potentially getting more money than what he demanded, after his requirements for the border wall were not met in the spending bill proposed by Congress.

However, Democrats in the House of Representatives and many others were quick to criticize this development and argued if the President of the United States was pushing the boundaries of the Constitution and overstepping the powers granted to him by Congress and the Constitution.In fact, in just a few days, on Feb. 18, 16 US states sued Trump in order to stop his use of emergency powers as president to build the southern wall.

“This is plainly a power grab by a disappointed president, who has gone outside the bounds of the law to try to get what he failed to achieve in the constitutional legislative process,” said Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California and Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, the Democratic leader, in a joint statement.

Despite, all the opposition facing him and his executive order, Trump is prepared to face Congress and the Courts in order to get the necessary funding for his wall and is confident that he will prevail in his agenda.

“Is your oath of office to Donald Trump or is it to the Constitution of the United States?” Speaker Nancy Pelosi asked her Republican colleagues in a speech on the floor ahead of the vote. “You cannot let him undermine your pledge to the Constitution.”

“We are not going to give any president, Democratic or Republican, a blank check to shred the Constitution of the United States.” vowed Nancy Pelosi.

The resolution to block his order will now be passed on to the Senate, where they must vote within 18 days of the House vote. However, the Republican led Senate seems to be split on the decision with three Republicans supporting the Democrats, leaving them one vote shy of the resolution passing the Senate.

However, even if the resolution passes through both houses of Congress, President Trump can still veto the resolution when it arrives at his desk, leaving Congress with only one other option.

If the president vetoes the resolution, then Congress has the power to override the veto with a two-thirds supermajority vote in both chambers of Congress. However, this would be extremely hard to accomplish with a Republican-led Senate and a majority of Republicans still backing Trump.

“There will be nowhere near the votes to override a veto,” Representative Steve Scalise of Louisiana, the Republican whip, said. “Ultimately, we’re going to stand with the president in making sure we can secure this border.”

This could all potentially be ended and decided in the Supreme Court where President Trump’s national emergency will be ruled as unconstitutional and overruled or the opposite.

The current issues we are facing right now will have a big impact on the way the government operates and the future of the American people. This has all come down to a battle between the separation of powers of the branches of government and the checks and balances they each possess, detailed by the Constitution and our Founding Fathers.   .

“As a U.S. senator, I cannot justify providing the executive with more ways to bypass Congress,” Republican Senator Thom Tillis wrote. “As a conservative, I cannot endorse a precedent that I know future left-wing presidents will exploit to advance radical policies that will erode economic and individual freedoms.”

“The larger issue is Congress has delegated its authority to the White House in hundreds of instances,” said Senator John Cornyn, Republican of Texas. “I think we need to have a bigger conversation about the separation of powers and whether we want to continue to delegate all this authority to the next president.”