• Congratulations to the district! Katy ISD named AP District of the Year!

Big Things For a Big Year at the Ranch

Back to Article
Back to Article

Big Things For a Big Year at the Ranch

2019 has been a historical year for Morton Ranch High School. Every sport and organization have been competing with other schools, proving everyone Morton’s greatness.

We’ve all heard about boys varsity basketball doing great things. Saturday, Feb. 9, the team became district champions with an undefeated district record of 11 to 0.

Since then, boys basketball pushed through the competition by becoming bi-district champs against Ridgepoint 91-71. Friday, Feb. 22, the boys went to Barnett Stadium to play against Bellaire. They won, becoming Area champs. One step closer to getting to state.

Juniors L.J. Cryer and Eddie Lampkin felt like being district champs was almost a given. The team has been working hard to be where they are now and knew being first in the district was in their reach.

“We were the first team in the school’s history to win districts; that was big accomplishment,” Cryer mentioned.

Lampkin added that it was a big week for the team.

“We have been working for it all season, so it was just pretty big for us to do it,” he said.

Unfortunately, the Mavericks fell to Elkins on Tuesday night when the two teams battled it out at the Merrell Center. The final score was 66 to 70 with the Knights claiming victory.

The girls varsity basketball team had a great season as well, winning games to secure their spot in playoffs. The girls were undefeated until the game against Katy. The game against Katy was also the game Madison Bailey tore her ACL, causing her to be out for the season. The girls were 5-7.

Playoffs were next for the varsity team. Unfortunately, the playoff journey fell short with the girls losing the first playoff game against Ridgepoint. Nonetheless, playoffs were a stepping stone for the team. This year was also the first year that both the boys and girls’ varsity teams made it to playoffs in the same season.

Senior De’ Andrea Hunter has been on varsity basketball all four years of her high school career.

“We won against Tompkins in overtime,” she said. “Cinco, which was a big win, big game in two overtimes, was a very heartfelt game, because we were fighting to get into the game, like it was just a big deal for us seniors.”

With their season over, the girls are working hard in offseason as they prepare for next year.

Wrestling has been known for being great at the Ranch. Our wrestling teams qualified for regionals, which lead to State. One highlight was junior Jordan Suarez coming in first place at Regionals. Suarez said she felt relieved after winning her matches.

“At that time I was having a panic attack during the prior match, and I couldn’t really breathe,” she said. “I was just happy it was over, not going to lie.”

Both sophomore Brittany Cotter and junior Jordan Suarez competed in the state championship. Both Brittany and Jordan came out No. 2 in their weight class.

Academic Decathlon goes to state competitions almost everywhere in San Antonio. This year was significant, because this year it was a close race to being one of the top 40 teams in the State.

Not only did MRHS pull through, but five other schools in Katy ISD did as well. Six schools from the same district going to State was the first time that happened in Texas Academic Decathlon history.

For Senior Isaac Lozano, earning a spot at State wasn’t surprising.

“It was a really mild shock cause in the first place, I knew we were going to make it based on our scores,” Lozano stated. “So, it wasn’t that big of a thing, especially since I went last year, but it was a welcomed surprise.”

How decathletes prepare for a meet is far from what anyone would call normal. It’s not something you do an hour before a meet. The team prepares for every meet every day starting in May, into the summer and until March that following year.

That includes reading seven reading guides that have anywhere from 70 to 140 pages in each. Then, trying to retain every piece of information they can, so they can compete with other schools by taking tests.

Isaac claimed to study every after school.

“I get home and immediately throw my book bag down. I grab a guide and start reading like the productive member of society I am,” Lozano confirmed. “I highlight information I think will be on the tests then prepare accordingly.”

What’s next for these crazy kids? All eight team members, two alternates and both coaches will pack up and head over to San Antonio for four days during Spring Break. During those four days, decathletes will deliver a prepared speech, write an essay and take seven multiple-choice tests.

Another academic team, Debate, did big things this year. Senior Aaron Luviano Lopez got third place in poetry and junior Donnie Smith came in first in humorous interpretation.

Luviano Lopez was very happy to earn third, because there were 43 other competitors he had to beat. Also, according to him, it was an overall hard poetry tournament, because it brought in people that specialize in poetry.

He goes back through the cases the team has to prepare for tournaments.

“Personally, I go back through the cases and look to see if any new evidence has popped up over the last few weeks and start prepping for what kind arguments might be coming up.” Aaron said.

His preparation doesn’t stop there.

“For my poetry side, I look over my piece and I perform it a few times and I would fix any small things,” he added.

For Donnie Smith, he prepares by going home and looking at state videos. With that he also watches to do some shadow work in his head and basically goes out there and does his best.

Debate already qualified for State earlier in the season. However, for Smith, he had to compete in a tournament the following weekend to secure his spot.