• Congratulations to Teacher of the Year, Darren Bunte!

2020 Presidential Election Expectations

Back to Article
Back to Article

2020 Presidential Election Expectations

As 2020 draws closer, many have already declared their bid to run in the 2020 Presidential Election. Democrats already have a lineup of candidates in the running for the Democratic presidential nominee.

As of now, Democrats currently have 14 candidates in the running and on the Republican side only 2. The Democratic candidates so far include Cory Booker, Pete Buttigieg, Julián Casto, John Delaney, Tulsi Gabbard, Kirsten Gillibrand, Kamala Harris, Amy Klobuchar, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Marianne Williamson and Andrew Yang. Most of these candidates are well-known, have held governmental positions on either a federal or state level, or both, and have been very outspoken about President Trump and his administration. The Democrats have a very diverse lineup of candidates to choose from for the upcoming election, and there may be many others throwing their hats in the ring.

While for the Republicans, President Trump is obviously a candidate in the running for his second term as the President of the United States. However, along with him, it has been confirmed that former prosecutor and former governor of Massachusetts, William F. Weld, will be running for the executive seat.

There are many factors and concerns each side must worry about that will end up deciding the victor of the presidential election. Democrats are desperately trying to grasp the president’s seat, while maintaining the House of Representatives and taking the Senate away from the Republicans. Democrats must choose a worthy candidate to draw in the voters and win the 270 votes of electors in the Electoral College, a very tall order to complete.

Democrats must also worry about potential Independent candidates in the 2020 election, who might siphon votes from their own party. Independent candidates don’t run for either side of the spectrum and are very middle of the road between Democrats and Republicans.Typically, when an Independent candidate is in the running on the final ballot, they tend to siphon a lot of the votes from a certain party, depending on which side of the political spectrum they tend to lean more towards. This would result in the opposite party winning the election. For example, former Starbucks CEO, Howard Schultz, is still undecided over running for president or not. However, Democrats are worried that if he were to run as an Independent candidate, he would siphon many of the Democratic voters, as his ideologies usually run more on the Democratic side, resulting in a win for Republicans and potentially another term for Trump as president.

For Republicans, particularly President Trump, they must worry about potentially strong Democratic candidates, many undecided presidential runners, and the approval rating of the current president.

As the year 2020 draws closer, there are still many considering running for president. In fact, there are a few potential runners who haven’t announced their campaign for presidency who happen to be quite wealthy. There are two particular billionaires considering running for president, Howard Schultz and Michael Bloomberg. If these two decided to run, we could potentially expect President Trump to have tough competition in what could turn into a battle between billionaires in the next election, and it could come down to who had more money and who spent it more efficiently.

Former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke has also yet to announce whether or not he is putting his name in the hat for president. O’Rourke has already stated he will not run for Senate against Sen. John Cornyn.

However, before Trump worries about any of that, his approval rating among the states is dangerously low. In fact, according to recent polls from Gallup, Trump’s approval rating has dropped below 40 percent  in 16 states. Many of the states are considered to be swing states and states that usually vote Republican. Texas just happens to be one of these states with many electoral votes in the Electoral College.

As it can be seen, both sides have a lot of work to get done before this upcoming election, and there will be heated battles on both sides as we draw closer to election day.