• Congratulations to the district! Katy ISD named AP District of the Year!

The Oscars: A wrap-up of the winners of 2019

The Academy Awards, otherwise known as the Oscars, have come and gone, and the thrill of guessing who’s going to win is also over.

The evening started with a brilliant opening performance by Queen and Adam Lambert, performing the songs “We Will Rock You” and “We Are The Champions”.

After the performance, Regina King took home the first Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for “If Beale Street Could Talk”.

Ruth E. Carter won Best Costume Design for “Black Panther”, which was much deserved. This marked the first time an African-American woman received this award. She thanked Spike Lee for giving her a chance in the 1988 movie “School Daze” and continued her speech.

The Best Cinematography award went to “Roma”, which was directed by Alfonso Cuarón. He thanked Yalitza Aparicio and his director of photography, Emmanuel Lubezki. “Roma” also won a second Oscar for Best Foreign Film

“Black Panther” won another award, this time for Best Production Design, in which Jay Hart proudly accepted the award followed by a moving speech.

Quickly after, “Bohemian Rhapsody” won its first Oscar of the night for Best Sound Mixing and Sound Editing.

John Ottman won Best Editing for “Bohemian Rhapsody”, and Mahershala Ali won his second Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in “Green Book”, which makes him the second African-American man to win two Academy Awards for acting.

Best Animated Feature went to “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”  and was followed by Pixar’s “Bao” for Best Animated Short.

“Period. End of Sentence” took best Documentary Short, and “First Man” took home the Visual Effects Award.

Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper took the stage to perform the nominated song “Shallow”, which wowed the audience and won the Oscar later in the evening.

“BlacKkKlansman” won Best Adapted Screenplay, and Spike Lee gave a politically-charged speech by saying, “The 2020 presidential election is around the corner. Let’s all mobilize, let’s all be on the right side of history. Make the moral choice between love versus hate. Let’s do the right thing.”

Ludwig Göransson won the Best Original Score Oscar for “Black Panther”, adding to his collection along with the Grammys he won with Childish Gambino.

Rami Malek won Best Actor and gave one of the best speeches that night saying, “We made a film about (Freddie Mercury)… a gay man, an immigrant who lived his life unapologetically himself, and the fact I’m celebrating him and this story tonight is proof that we’re longing for stories like this. I am the son of immigrants from Egypt, I’m a first generation American and part if my story is being written right now.”

Olivia Colman won Best Actress in “The Favourite”, her first ever Academy Award and gave an amusing speech whilst being excusably emotional. Guillermo del Toro presented the Best Director award, in which Alfonso Cuarón won his third Oscar for “Roma”.

And last but not least, the Oscar for Best Picture went to “Green Book” in a clear upset over the other nominees. The cast and production for the movie took the stage for a second time after winning Best Original Screenplay earlier and gave their speeches to end the night.

Overall, the Academy Awards this year had some surprises, as well as some predictable choices, but was still historic nonetheless. Ratings were up after years of decline in viewership, and milestones were reached for several people. Cheers to another year of movies to watch and to enjoy!