• Congratulations to Teacher of the Year, Darren Bunte!

Filed under Local news, News

State of the Union Address

Back to Article
Back to Article

State of the Union Address

On Tuesday, Feb. 5, President Trump finally gave his State of the Union Address, after the speech was delayed for two weeks due to the longest government shutdown in U.S. history.

Hours before the speech, much speculation occurred over what topics and issues the president would address in his speech and how he would approach these concerns. Many sources indicated that the president would be combative towards Democrats and push for his agendas throughout the speech, others indicated the exact opposite. Many had also hoped that the president would urge the Democratic and Republican parties to work together for the good of the nation and to better our society.

However, even though Trump’s speech began on a bipartisan note, attempting to unite the nation and its leaders, it was ultimately more divisive than unifying as he discussed topics that many Democrats and Republicans can never seem to agree on. The issue over the southern border wall and the Meuller Investigation being some of the many topics dividing Democrats and Republicans.

“If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation; it just doesn’t work that way,” said President Donald Trump early on on the speech, referring to the Muller probe as a “ridiculous partisan investigation”.

The issue over the border is what initially caused the government shutdown weeks ago and delayed the State of the Union Address, so it would be no surprise that this would be a major topic of discussion in Trump’s speech. Trump is still very much insisting that Congress come up with a plan to fund for the construction of the border wall, and if they are unable to come through with the money the government will once again be shutdown on Feb. 15. Trump is also considering a national emergency declaration in order to get funding for the wall.

“This is a smart, strategic, see-through steel barrier — not just a simple concrete wall,” said Trump. “Simply put, WALLS WORK and WALLS SAVE LIVES.”

Even though it seemed the nation was still divided throughout the speech, there were still areas where Democrats and Republicans were able to reach common ground on, such as the discussions over our nation’s infrastructure, criminal justice reform and economy. Both parties want to see our nation prosper and grow, and that’s one thing they can completely agree on

There were also many sparkling moments during Trump’s speech. The president mentioned the growth of our economy, job opportunities and his dedication to cancer research. He also mentioned the many achievements women have made in both the government and the workforce, gaining applauds from the many women in the room wearing white to represent their achievements and the long battle of gender equality.

“All Americans can be proud that we have more women in the workforce than ever before — and exactly one century after the Congress passed the constitutional amendment giving women the right to vote, we also have more women serving in the Congress than ever before.” said Trump.

However,Trump’s speech left many, especially Democrats, unsatisfied with the amount of important issues and topics that were not addressed in the speech. Democrats took the time to talk about these issues, like gun control, that weren’t mentioned in Trump’s speech.

The Democratic response to the State of the Union Address was given by Stacey Abrams, a rising star among the Democratic party, even after her loss in her election for Georgia’s governor.

With her speech, Stacey Abrams connected with the American people with her personal story about her family and smoothly transitioned into the many issues and concerns within our nation, like voter suppression, educational reform, LGBTQ communities, marriage equality, etc. She urged for many political leaders within our government to be honest to the American people and to work together for the good of the American people and our nation.

Our progress has always found refuge in the basic instinct of the American experiment — to do right by our people. And with a renewed commitment to social and economic justice, we will create a stronger America together. Because America wins by fighting for our shared values against all enemies, foreign and domestic.” said Stacey Abrams.

“That is who we are, and when we do so — never wavering — the state of our union will always be strong.”