• Congratulations to Teacher of the Year, Darren Bunte!

Filed under News

Good For the Soul: The benefits of music therapy

Back to Article
Back to Article

Music can help you through the trials and tribulations of life.

According to the American Psychological Association, studies have shown that anxiety and other mental illnesses affect over 40 million young adults in the United States alone, and many people can’t afford professional help, so they rely on the things that are easily accessible to them which to many is music.

Listening to music that you like actually releases a chemical in your brain called dopamine, which not only leaves positive effects on your mood but can improve your health and general well-being.

Pfizer Medical Team states that music is known to better communication, can help you cope with tough situations and also helps with expressing feelings such as loneliness and fear.

Relaxing music can ease stress and anxiety for people, regulate emotions and create happiness for the time being.

Studies suggest that music can even enhance your workout sessions by encouraging you to workout, boost your mental and physical stimulation and overall increase your athletic performance. Many professional athletes listen to upbeat music to help them get in the mindset for a competition or a important game. Athletes like Lebron James or Bianca Farella are known to do so.

Music can even be a form of social bonding, having the power to move people and bring them together in the time of need. It is not surprising hearing about people meeting their best friends or even significant others through music.

Students here at MRHS shared their favorite artists that help them relax and some of the artist’s songs that they recommend:

Xitlalic Garcia: “Harry Styles” (album) by Harry Styles

Hayden Reeves: “Guilty as can be”, “On my way to you” and “Fence Posts” by Cody Johnson

Abby Tijerina: “Sunflower” by Post Malone, “Why” by Shawn Mendes, “Blessed” by Daniel Caesar, “If I knew” by Bruno Mars and “Nonstop” by Drake

Jonathan McDuffie: “How Could You Leave Us”, “Therapy Session” and “Mansion” by NF