• Congratulations to Teacher of the Year, Darren Bunte!

Filed under From the Ranch, News

New Year, New Me: Overcoming bad habits in the New Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Many use Jan. 1 as a checkpoint for self-growth, coming up with “new year resolutions”. They all use this time to reevaluate and reflect on their year and find where they can change and improve themselves for the betterment of themselves and others.

Many common resolutions include eating healthier, going to the gym more than once a year, staying organized and clean or learning a new skill.

Proclaiming “new year, new me”, people put off improving themselves until Jan. 1, which is anything but productive. Holding off on change simply because the upcoming year hasn’t started is counterintuitive. A part of having goals is to be willing to do whatever it takes to achieve them, including starting as soon as possible.

Another recurring dilemma is following through with their goals. The busiest time in gyms are the first two months of the year. After February, they get too busy or gym memberships get too expensive; whatever the excuse is, they have given up the opportunity for their summer bods.

This doesn’t just go for fitness. People quit on all types of resolutions. According to Go Skills, 2019’s most common resolutions, excluding fitness, include staying organized, learning a new skill or hobby, living life to the fullest, saving more money and to quit smoking. The mentality of realizing poor behaviors should be changed is fantastic, but almost never get carried through.

The most used excuses are “there’s isn’t enough time to achieve my goals” or “it’s situational”.

Since we as a society like to use the start of the year as a standard date for change, let’s use this year, this time around, to change the almost inevitable doom of unresolved ambitions and embark on a trend to fulfill our aspirations of self improvement. This is the year that we stick to our resolutions and better ourselves for the present and future.

Everyone has habits. They’re things we do on a regular basis, often without much hesitation. However, they can be unhealthy, such as nail biting, bad time management, snacking a little too much when stressed, having bad study habits (or not studying at all), etc. Unfortunately, habits are quite challenging to break, especially if they are long standing ones, but it is not impossible.

When trying to break a bad habit, it is important to become more mindful of it. Try asking yourself what are you doing, why you are doing it and when did you start doing it? You will learn how to be aware of what is making you do said habit. Thus, being mindful of the habit gives you the option to stop yourself before you do it again.

Train yourself to think differently about your bad habits.

Examples:

• Replace a junk food craving with a healthier and more beneficial snack.
  • Instead of talking yourself out of something like homework or chores, do your task right away. No matter how long you wait, it is going to have to get done eventually.
  • Rather than biting your nails, buy a pack of gum to satisfy the need to chew on them.

Even if we hate a habit we’re doing, like snacking or biting our nails, we tend to continue doing them. They provide us with some sort of satisfaction or psychological reward. Although some habits are a part of our safety nets, it’s not impossible to jump out of our comfort zones and do something that will change us for the better. Try to catch yourself thinking any positive thoughts or feelings about your bad habits and reframe them to remind you of the negative aspects.