• Stay tuned for new content from your Maverick Star news staff.

Filed under Local news, News

Midterm Elections 2018: A wrap-up of wins and losses

The 2018 Midterm Elections were nothing shy of historic.

Across the nation, states saw record-breaking voter turnout, including in Texas. The Lone Star State typically falls behind the rest of the nation in voter turnout, but this election season Texas had more voters turn out to the polls than the 2016 presidential election. Youth early voting turnout increased, according to Tom Bonier, a Democratic strategist with TargetSmart. His analysis showed that Americans under the age of 30 voting early increased by a larger percentage than any other age group.

Additionally, Americans shattered early voting records with 38 million people voting ahead of Election Day, according to the U.S. Elections Project. If early voting makes up a third of the vote, that would amount to a turnout of 114 million people across the U.S. or 48.5 percent, marking the highest rate since 1914.

For the first time in U.S. history, more than 100 women were elected, some of whom are representing their districts or states for the first time. Among these women are Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, who is the youngest woman elected to Congress; Sharice Davids of Kansas, who is the first openly LGBTQ Kansan and one of the first two Native American women elected to Congress; Veronica Escobar and Sylvia Garcia of Texas, who are the first Latina women to represent Texas in Congress; Rashida Tlaib of Michigan and Ilhan Omar of Minnesota will be the first Muslim women in Congress and more.

With the midterm results, Democrats now control the House of Representatives, while Republicans still have control of the Senate. Several seats flipped this election season, while some stayed the same. Democrats made gains with the governor’s races, including in Wisconsin and Kansas, but Republicans won in high-profile contests like Florida and Georgia.

Furthermore, the highly profiled and anticipated Texas Senate Race between incumbent Sen. Ted Cruz and Rep. Beto O’Rourke of El Paso resulted in a win for Cruz. The incumbent received 50.9 percent of the votes, while O’Rourke received 48.3 percent. Both Gov. Greg Abbott and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick were also reelected, beating Lupe Valdez and Mike Collier.

Now politicians and voters alike set their sights on 2020 when the next presidential election will be held.

For more information and election results, check out your local news organizations.