• Stay tuned for new content from your Maverick Star news staff.

The Threat of Climate Change

The world is seeing gradual but noticeable changes due to an epidemic known as climate change.

Climate change or global warming is defined as the century-scale rise in the average temperature of the Earth’s climate system and its related effects. If humanity does not manage to get climate change under control, our earth will become inefficient for life.

This was not the first time the earth experienced rapid changes to climate either; it has happen on many different occasions. The most notorious was 252 million years ago; it began when carbon warmed the planet by five degrees, accelerated when that warming triggered the release of methane in the Arctic and ended with 97 percent of all life on Earth deceased. This could all happen again and possibly in our lifetime.

According to NASA, not only does this affect humans, it will affect all species of life. Humans, like all mammals, are heat engines; surviving means having to continually cool off, like panting dogs. For that, the temperature needs to be low enough for the air to act as a refrigerant, drawing heat off the skin so the engine can keep running.

“Taken as a whole, the range of published evidence indicates that the net damage costs of climate change are likely to be significant and to increase over time,” the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change said.

Though it is a slim chance all of humanity will actively participate in changing our fate as far as climate change is involved, there is still a chance. There are things you can do individually to make a difference.Transportation is a huge cause of climate change. To reduce your transportation emissions, you can take the bus, ride a bike or carpool. Finding other sufficient ways to travel can make a drastic difference when everyone starts practicing better ways to travel.

Another thing you can do is use energy wisely. Some things you can do include changing to energy-efficient light bulbs, unplugging computers, TVs and other electronics when you’re not using them, and washing clothes in cold or warm (not hot) water. Little day-to-day tasks like these will conserve energy and ultimately create a better environment.

Former President Barack Obama commented on climate change and how important it is we recognize what will happen.

“Climate change is no longer some far-off problem,” he said. “It is happening here; it is happening now.”

Sustainable food consumption is another way to help fight against climate change. Eating things in season, local food items and less meat overall will help reduce carbon emissions, excess packaging and support local businesses in the process. Farmers’ markets and recycling are also something worth considering to add to your lifestyle.

CNN reported scientists predict we have approximately 12 years to get climate change under control before we see serious and dangerous effects. Making little changes such as recycling, conserving energy and reusing in any ways you can could potentially change our earth when we all stand for a change.