• Stay tuned for new content from your Maverick Star news staff.

The Mustached Man With the Most

Morton Ranch High School is a proud school full of teachers who come to work every day in the hope of enlightening their students through learning and brightening their day with positive attitudes.

AP U.S. History Teacher and AP Government teacher Troy Womack is one of those teachers and much more.

Womack goes above and beyond what many teachers would consider. He involves himself at school and in the academic careers of his students.

Anyone who has had Womack knows he can take what would be bad news and word it into being light-hearted, so that the student knows what they did or are doing wrong without feeling bad about themselves and keeping the mood light.

While he is great for his students at the high school, he is also great for younger students in the community. Being the sponsor for PALS, he takes his class to elementaries in the area and has students help and be buddies with the little kids there. Mr. Womack knew when he saw the position open up here at Morton Ranch he had to go for it.

“I saw the PALS in Alief come to our building, and they were a real good influence on some of my troubled kids, so I thought it’d be a good program,” Womack said.

Womack saw the potential the program had from working and seeing it in his old district. Since starting it here, he’s seen the impact first hand.

“One day we were going back to a school, and a student was a pal for the second year,” he said. “He was going to have the same kid, and when the little boy saw him he started to cry and hugged him; that’s what PALS is all about.”

Inside and outside of the classroom, Womack sees the impact he’s had on his students years later. Like, when he runs into them in public.

“Seeing a kid you used to teach, and they say, ‘Oh, I remember your class. I really had fun in there. I enjoyed it. You were a good teacher.’ That’s a good feeling,” Womack said.

When asked why he does it and what makes working at the Ranch special, Womack’s response was succinct yet profound.

“Morton Ranch is special, because we have all kinds of people here from all kinds of levels. It’s neat to see teachers be able to bring kids from any level and raise them up to the next; it’s hard work but good work,” Womack said.

Not your average bump on a pickle, Mr. Womack is the kind of teacher people talk about for the rest of their lives, and the kind of teacher everyone who listens to the stories wish they had.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “The Mustached Man With the Most”

1. Mayra Miranda on October 24th, 2018 4:12 pm

This man right here changed everything for me. I never like history and I can say it was one of my worst subjects but Mr.Womack changed the game. His classes were fun and for once I enjoyed history and for the first time got commended in the TAKS test. I remember we reviewed flash cards every morning and he always put me on blast because I never spoke in class. When I look back at high school and think of my teachers he is always the first one that comes to mind.

2. Laura Bedoya on October 24th, 2018 4:20 pm

Mr Womack is the absolute best!!! He made school fun for most of us. He always understood that kids will be kids and instead of judging us for our mistakes he would point out different routes and options we had. I graduated 08 even though I was class of 09 and I can honestly say that he was one of my favorites teacher. Great attitude and positive outlook on life. Good family man with a great sense of humor, I just wanted to personally say thank you Mr. Womack for never giving up on us.

3. Ciara Leder on October 24th, 2018 7:53 pm

Graduated in 2011

You were one of my favorites ! So happy to see this article! I was actually talking about you the other day. Hope all is well miss you & your class.

-Ciara

4. Melisa Labbate on October 24th, 2018 8:28 pm

Best teacher ever! He was my US history teacher many years ago, and I can definitely say he impacted my life.
    He never failed to encourage me & motivate me with his way of teaching.
    I knew he would someday get the recognition he deserves.
    Go Mr. Womack!
    Go mavs!

5. Eduardo Flores on October 25th, 2018 12:18 pm

I had him in 2009. my favorite teacher I had. His classes were different. To this day, I still remember what the Sherman Anti-Trust act is because that was the card I had to draw. He also gave me the yearly award for student of the year, which was a huge honor. I got to walk the stage and receive the only award I got in high school, which was special to me. He also predicted that my wife and I would end up together haha. He will always be a part of our story we share to our kids someday.
    Thank you Mr. Womack, for making your classroom my favorite part of the school day. And don’t be a bump on a pickle!
    Eduardo “Eddie” Flores
    Class of 2010

*

• The Mustached Man With the Most

Around the Ranch

The Music in Me: Rene Juarez reflects on his accomplishments, future in music

• The Mustached Man With the Most

Around the Ranch

Flags Fly High With Pride

• The Mustached Man With the Most

Around the Ranch

From Student to Teacher: Coach Herbert shares challenges, inspires others

• The Mustached Man With the Most

Around the Ranch

Your Homecoming Royalty

• The Mustached Man With the Most

Around the Ranch

The Beauty of ASL

• The Mustached Man With the Most

Around the Ranch

Your Halftime Entertainment

• The Mustached Man With the Most

Around the Ranch

Making PALS

• The Mustached Man With the Most

Around the Ranch

Life in the Fast Lane

• Around the Ranch

The Brains of the Operation

• The Mustached Man With the Most

Around the Ranch

Our Colonel

The Mustached Man With the Most