• Stay tuned for new content from your Maverick Star news staff.

Filed under Voices

The #MeToo Story Continues

With sexual harassment allegations against Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein, former Stanford student Brock Turner and his case of sexual assault with a classmate and recently the Kavanaugh case, the topic of sexual assault continues to be discussed in the mainstream.

The #MeToo movement, founded and created by activist Tarana Burke, continues to be a focal point of the discussion. In an interview with CNN, Burke stated that the #MeToo movement is an online campaign that supports the survivors of sexual abuse, assault and harassment. Though this movement was curated and founded a decade ago, it has recently resurfaced and has gained more popularity through social media.

Burke is also adamant about the two-word phrase not seen as a viral campaign, but a movement that will promote social change in society’s culture of sexual harassment.

“On one side, it’s a bold declarative statement that ‘I’m not ashamed’ and ‘I’m not alone’,” she said in an interview with CNN. “On the other side, it’s a statement from survivor-to-survivor that says ‘I see you, I hear you, I understand you and I’m here for you or I get it.’”

Many individuals have stayed silent for too long, and the movement is trying to change that. The open dialogue has prompted countless people to come forward and share their stories, including why they didn’t report their stories to begin with.

This movement is a revolutionary idea to unite and stand up against sexual harassers who’ve walked away without punishment. It has gone on for too long.

Consent is a big part of this movement and not understanding what consent is a leading cause for harassment.

If a man or woman clearly says no and does not want to be touched it’s obvious that he or she doesn’t want that attention, and it’s time to leave them alone and walk away.

There are countless people that have been sexual harrassed, assaulted and even abused and are scared to talk about it, because they are afraid and in some cases even threatened. According to RAINN, there are 321,500 rape and sexual assault victims every year in the U.S. ranging from ages 12 to older.

#MeToo, stand up and speak up. One person can cause a domino effect, and I am so proud that many women and men have spoken up and have united together against their harassers.

If you are dealing with being sexually harassed, remember that you are not alone, and it is not your fault. Talk to trusted adults and seek help.

It is not bad to seek help, and it is not your fault.

National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673.