• Congratulations to Teacher of the Year, Darren Bunte!

Your Halftime Entertainment

Back to Article
Back to Article

Your Halftime Entertainment

One of the best things about football games, besides football, is the halftime entertainment. Band, color guard and the drill teams put in tons of practice and effort into their performances.

Students involved in these fine arts typically have a busy schedule, maintaining good grades to be eligible to perform, making time to practice and any additional extracurricular activities a student might be involved in.

For instance, the Mighty Maverick Marching Band puts in hours of practice, sometimes in extremely hot weather, for a perfect halftime show. The band plays during the Maverick Belles dance team performance and their own show alongside color guard after the drill team is done performing. These students perfect their skill on their specific instruments to uphold their name as the Mighty Maverick Marching Band.

Senior percussionist Lance Balser said being prepared in rehearsal for halftime is key.

“Preparation starts in the practice room,” he said. “Prepare yourself for rehearsal and rehearsal will prepare you for halftime. Our direction staff does an excellent job of giving us the necessary information to confidently perform and complete our job. Holding myself responsible for everything I must do is how I guarantee my success. I must prepare well before halftime to assure success.”

Along with band, the MRHS color guard puts in long hours and dedication as well. It takes practice to toss their rifles and to be able to stay in sync with one another throughout the entirety of the performance.

Senior Dalila Hammond said performing can be very intimidating when anything can happen.

“Performing during halftime is like willingly putting yourself through around 10 minutes of nerves and anxiety,” she said. “Not knowing what kind of fun you’re going to have but not willing to back down and going out there to give it your best. It’s one of my favorite parts of color guard. I prepare myself for every performance by telling myself I can do this. I deserve to be here. I deserve to do this.”

Last but certainly not least, the Maverick Belles dance team put in long hours for a perfect halftime show and learn new routines constantly to showcase various genres of dance during the football season.

Senior Victoria Alvarado said mentally preparing herself is key to a flawless performance.

“It’s very important to think about the routine, every arm, every kick, every little change made,” Alvarado said. “That’s what makes us stronger as a whole team rather than just a few of us. I try not to overthink it, but I also remind myself of every little detail of the dance that will make it look polished and clean. Practice is crucial to a great performance, so the time the Belles are together, we take each minute of practice seriously and try not to waste any of it. It’s worth it in the long run.”

Band, color guard and Belles all put in countless hours to impress the community, their friends and their family. As football season is crucial to football players, it is for fine arts as well, so make sure to come out and support the students who sacrifice their free time and social lives to entertain us and to create a positive, light-hearted atmosphere every game and beyond the field as well.

1 Comment

One Response to “Your Halftime Entertainment”

1. Alex Rizzo on October 23rd, 2018 10:38 pm

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!!

*

• Around the Ranch

Student Musicians Take Risks

• Your Halftime Entertainment

Around the Ranch

Eight Brains Are Better Than One

• Your Halftime Entertainment

Around the Ranch

Frederica Freestyles Success

• Your Halftime Entertainment

Around the Ranch

All Things Morton Ranch: Mavericks

• Your Halftime Entertainment

Around the Ranch

A Great Debater

• Your Halftime Entertainment

Around the Ranch

Teacher of the Year: Mr. Bunte

• Your Halftime Entertainment

Around the Ranch

A Teacher to Remember

• Your Halftime Entertainment

Around the Ranch

All Things Morton Ranch: Fall sports work hard in the offseason

• Your Halftime Entertainment

Around the Ranch

All Things Morton Ranch: A day in the life

• Your Halftime Entertainment

Around the Ranch

Make Your Efforts Match Your Dreams

Your Halftime Entertainment