• Stay tuned for new content from your Maverick Star news staff.

Filed under From the Ranch, News

Applying for College

Every year, seniors struggle with applying to colleges. This could be for a multitude of reasons: not having the help that they need or want, having questions about the process, not having the necessary documents they need in order to fill out their college application or whatever it might be.

Some colleges or universities have their own application process, or common applications throughout the state of Texas can found on applytexas.org. Depending on the college, some of them require or recommend an essay, while others may not.

Some things to consider as you begin the process:

1. If you’re applying to schools in Texas, you will first need to create an account on applytexas.org.
  2. You will need a social security number.
  3. High school transcripts from your school will need to be sent from the registrar’s office.
  4. Letters of recommendation are not always required, but they are recommend. If you are going to ask for a letter from a teacher, coach, etc., make sure you give that person enough time to complete the letter in a timely manner.
  5. ACT or SAT scores need to be sent to your schools of interest. Some may not require either, but many schools require some sort of test grade.
  6. Application fees are required for many applications, but these fees can be waived depending on the school and your needs. Ask your counselor or college adviser for more information about this.

Other information on the applications can include details pertaining to your parents, so make sure you have these discussions with them. For example, many applications ask for your parents’ educational background, their tax information or their incomes.

Do not wait to start applying to colleges that you are interested or curious about, even if your not 100 percent sure you want to go there. Also, don’t forget to apply to scholarships when you’re filling out college applications. It would be best if you schedule a date to only focus on filling out applications, scholarships and even FAFSA, an option for potential federal aid for students seeking higher education.

If you have questions, do not be afraid to ask your teachers, your peers, your counselor or your college adviser.