• Congratulations to Teacher of the Year, Darren Bunte!

Making PALS

Back to Article
Back to Article

Making PALS

Kids come from all backgrounds and have unique stories. It’s important to embrace them all, no matter who they are.

The organization known as PALS is an exemplary way to make a difference in children’s lives. Every high school in Katy ISD offers PALS, making friends with hundreds of kids across Katy.

The members of PALS at Morton Ranch visit Morton Ranch Elementary, Franz Elementary, Sundown Elementary, Golbow Elementary, Winborn Elementary and King Elementary from Monday through Thursday to spend time with their assigned pal and brighten their day.

Senior Dominique Diaz said she loves making an impact on the kids’ lives.

“My favorite part of PALS is I guess being able to be around kids who have such an open mind and seeing the world how they see it,” said Diaz.

Senior Maria Alvarez said she wanted to carry on the tradition of being in PALS since her older brother and sister were in it when they were in high school.

“Watching them create bonds while making a positive impact on kids’ lives made me want to follow in their footsteps,” said Alvarez. “Personally, my confidence when it comes to approaching the kids and their situation, in order to help them, has improved drastically from last year. As a whole, the overall excitement and positivity to help our PALees everyday has improved.”

PALS has been an organization since the school opened and has been a very popular extracurricular offered in school as it has grown in size over the years.

The advisers of pals, Troy Womack and Marina Ealy, enforce the purpose of PALS in hopes to improve every year.

“The purpose of PALS is to have some of our best students at MRHS go to area elementary schools and tutor an elementary student one on one,” said Womack. “Many of these elementary students have social or academic issues and a big buddy to help is all they need to get better. I think we can improve PALS by having more kids to represent MRHS.”

Mrs. Ealy instills the positivity in PALS and hopes it is the true change in the kids’ lives.

“What I hope to continue to improve about the PALS program is to continue to get high school students to be a part of the program who really want to help kids and serve the community,” said Ealy. “We would love to see more male high school students join as well, because there is a huge need for male elementary students to have other males mentor them.”

PALS is a tradition that Katy ISD will carry on many years to come, and it is highly encouraged that upperclassmen participate and carry on this legacy.