• Stay tuned for new content from your Maverick Star news staff.

Life in the Fast Lane

Photo Courtesy of Shaine

As we go through life, we often look for something we are passionate about and love doing. Sometimes that desire to find our calling or passion is difficult to discover and can often go unfulfilled.

Fortunately, sophomore Shaine Giarratano found one of his passions early on in his life and loves everything about it. Shaine started racing as early as the age of 6, but officially started racing going into the age of 7 with the rest of his family, especially with his two siblings. It was something that they could all bond over as they really enjoyed it and continued to grow as family.

Shaine participates in what’s called 3K Racing, a small racing community that’s wellknown and showcases races with different types of bikes, such as dirt bikes and motorcycles, through a multitude of racing competitions. These races determine a winner through a point-system based on the placing of a racer in the race.

Although there is no official reward for the winner, such as money or a trophy, the racers can still enjoy themselves and be proud of their accomplishments with every race they participate in.

Shaine participated and won many races since starting at an early age. However, just as he has won many races, there have been some bumpy roads along the way.

“I’ve crashed many times, and it’s natural at this point,” he said. “Everyone eventually will crash; you can’t get on something with two wheels and expect to not end up crashing. It’s inevitable.”

Even though the racing is a big part of what makes up this community, the people involved are what make the environment at the track so inviting and the racing all the more enjoyable.

“Everybody that’s at the track, they’re so much fun to be around,” he added. “We’re all friends at the track. Everybody knows each other, and it’s just nice to see everybody every once in a while.”

Racing itself and the community Shaine immersed himself impacted his life by making him into a young man who cherishes others and enjoys life.

“Without motorcycles, I wouldn’t be who I am today; it’s a part of me,” said Shaine. “It’s like how an artist has a paintbrush and paint and a canvas, all of that makes them whole in a way that only they can understand. It’s kind of like me with a motorcycle; it just feels right.”

Shaine isn’t like most people who do what they do for fame or fortune. He does what he does, because he simply enjoys racing with the people at the track. Everything else is just a plus. Racing is something in his life that does just that; something he thinks can potentially be a great career path in his future.

“I don’t race for people to know who I am,” he said. “I race to have fun, to enjoy it.”