• Stay tuned for new content from your Maverick Star news staff.

Filed under Entertainment, Reviews

Review: “Nappily Every After”

Review: “Nappily Every After”

Rating: 7/10

A new Netflix original movie came out on Sept. 21, 2018. titled “Nappily Ever After” directed by Haifaa al-Mansour and based on the book written by Trisha R. Thomas.

As cliche as the title sounds, this movie not only shows women that you don’t have to be perfect to be beautiful, but it gives empowerment to black women and shows them that their natural hair is beautiful.

Violet’s whole life has always been about her hair and being perfect, even as a child. Her life seems to be going perfect, and she expects her boyfriend Clint to propose to her but things don’t go as planned. She wonders why, after trying so hard to be perfect she isn’t enough, but he reveals that after two years of being together he feels like he doesn’t really know her; he only knows the Violet that’s perfect 24/7.

After breaking up with him, she searches for an answer by trying different hairstyles, but not one that shows the beauty of her natural hair. She ends up shaving her hair, which is the turning point of the movie, as she’s forced to make change and live without what she once took comfort in her whole life, her hair. Now she has time to focus on herself, discover self love and be independent after looking for approval from others for so long.

Violet meets Will, a hairstylist, and his daughter Zoe. They both play a role in Violet’s journey to finding herself and also to live a normal life without focusing so much time on how she looks. Will shows her love for who she truly is, and Violet serves as a role model and mother-figure to Zoe. Violet shows Zoe that her natural hair is beautiful.

Later, Violet gets back together with her Clint, and he proposes. At their engagement party, Violet jumps in the pool, and I think it symbolizes her childhood in a way as she does the same thing at the beginning of the movie when she was a kid at the pool.

The movie is overall enjoyable, but there definitely were parts in the movie that didn’t really add to the plot and could have been used to answer what I feel was a lot of unanswered questions.

What really bothered me though is that we never learn much about her mother and why Violet is the way she is. Afterall, Violet’s mother is the one who influenced that kind of mindset on Violet from the very beginning, but we don’t really see progression in her character.

Despite the plot holes, I would recommend this movie for the main reason that it has a positive message and for the strong, female character role.