• Stay tuned for new content from your Maverick Star news staff.

Filed under Entertainment, Reviews

Web-head’s Return to Glory – A “Spider-Man” review

CNET

CNET

You’re seven years old sitting in your room watching your older brother play the PS2, as always. This time is different though.

This time your brother isn’t playing as an assassin, or a giant mech. He’s playing someone you’re quite familiar with. Your favorite superhero: Spider-Man.

He picked up an older copy of Ultimate Spider-Man and effectively just sent you to Nirvana. Here is the chance for you to become your favorite hero. To live out the countless dreams you’ve had of being bitten by a radioactive spider and becoming a real life Peter Parker.

As soon as he got tired of playing, you pounced on the chance, took the controller and took over of your new adventure as Spider-Man. Countless hours spent doing nothing but swinging around and finding low level thugs to stop, or waiting for Shocker to break out again just to go stop him once more. Hundreds. Of. Hours.

Eventually, there was nothing left the game could offer you that you hadn’t done already multiple times before. No need to worry though, because more great Spider-Man games would be on the way soon right? No, actually they were mostly garbage or completely different.

Now, I’m not saying all Spider-Man games following “Spider-Man 2” and “Ultimate Spider-Man” were complete trash but most of them were. The ones that weren’t may have been good games, but they didn’t offer the experience of swinging around an open Manhattan, going toe-to-toe with villains like Doc Ock and Venom, exploring and living as Spider-Man like the better games of the past did. Most didn’t even have open worlds and just set you on levels to finish a mission.

The movies also left a lot to be desired. There hasn’t really been a good film since” Spider-Man 2” back in 2004. (“Spider-Man 3” with the black symbiote suit and edgy Peter was terrible, but you all kind of liked it too). “The Amazing Spider-Man” movies with Andrew Garfield were bad. Plain and simple. They couldn’t encapsulate Spider-Man how fans saw him. The first trilogy didn’t have Peter cracking many jokes or being smart-mouthed, nor did the reboot have him making jokes (he mainly came off as rude and unlikeable). When would the wall-crawler get the adaptation he deserved?

The answer would be in 2017, with the second reboot of the hero’s series. “Spider-Man: Homecoming” was the answer to Spider-Man fans’ prayers. Making jokes, messing with the villains and being a realistic teenager at the same time; it was awesome. They even had Spidey’s eyes move with his emotions, which they weren’t able to do in the first two movie adaptations. The Vulture was even made into kind of a cool villain when he was always the weird, old, bald villain in the skin-tight lime green bird suit before. This suit was a new reimagining of the classic suit, and while there was a few aesthetic changes it still looked amazing.

The A.I. was new, but they worked it in well and used it to explain some features (like the fact that Spidey’s eyes changed size even though it was a suit). His appearance in “Captain America: Civil War” was short but promising, and it paid out big in his solo movie. Tom Holland, even though he’s British, acts as an amazing Peter Parker/Spider-Man. His role in “Avengers: Infinity War” was equally as good with the quips and action. Spider-Man on film was making a definite turn-around, but what about in video games?

Well, they made a turn-around in video games too. “Spider-Man” on Playstation 4 is what I can only describe as perfect. The web-slinging is an updated version of the beloved physics-based slinging of “Spider-Man 2/Ultimate”. They bring back the open world map of Manhattan and pack it full of challenges, collectibles and enemies to keep you playing and entertained. The shallow variety of random encounter enemies starts to show the more you play, but it’s still fun to swing-kick a dude against a building and try out new combos and suit powers.

The suits are a great feature in the game, offering a new power up to use with each suit unlocked. The game lets you assign any suit power and suit after unlocking. So say I was to wear X suit but use Y suit, all I have to do is unlock both, pick X’s suit power but put on Y suit. The variety of suits to pick from is nice and all of them are detailed and appeal to all different Spider-Man fans.

The combat system is solid, working in lieu of the Batman games where you target an enemy and have a combo list of attacks to go off of, although it is much more fluid than the Batman games. The story is solid, and it’s nice that they put you in the shoes of an established Spider-Man. Like in “Homecoming”, they don’t make fans sit through the spider bite, or Uncle Ben getting shot again. Fans know the origin. They put you in the shoes of a Peter Parker that has been Spider-Man for a few years and let you jump straight into the story.

With beautiful graphics and great voice work, all these things make this Spider-Man game the best game adaptation, and maybe the best adaptation of Spider-Man, yet.

Spider-Man fans, cry no more. A new age is dawning for our favorite hero. Spidey is killing it on the movie screen and on the video game consoles. Revel in the greatness and enjoy it, because it’s been a while.