• Congratulations to Teacher of the Year, Darren Bunte!

Morton Ranch High School: Family Career & Community Leaders of America Makes a Difference in Other’s Lives

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kelsey Jozwiak, Christi Hurley, Courtney Bathe, FCCLA Sponsors

Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America is the only student lead organization in Katy ISD where family and community are the primary focus. Morton Ranch High School FCCLA has worked very hard to make a difference in the lives of the campus and community. Membership is open to any student who has taken a Family and Consumer Science Class while in Jr. High or High School.

Students from the MRHS, Family Career and Community Leaders of America chapter have been extremely busy this year working to improve reading skills of the Morton Ranch Elementary students.  FCCLA members served as reading mentors to Kindergarten students at MRE. High School students visited the elementary school every two weeks and spent 30 minutes reading to the children.  On average, 80 FCCLA members served as mentors during each visit and throughout the fall semester. The bond made between the high school and kindergarten students is unbreakable.

During the month of October members of MRHS FCCLA created and distributed pink ribbons and fact cards to the student body as a way to increase awareness of Breast Cancer. Each of the 2,400 ribbons were handmade and attached to a card that was printed with a breast cancer fact. Members along with other organizations also met together and made pink tie dye shirts for the school wide “Pink out Breast Cancer” day held on campus.

Members spent November collecting non-perishable food items and assembling food baskets for needy MRHS families. Baskets were distributed with the help of faculty members. Students helped pack and wrap the food baskets for delivery to the needy families. FCCLA members also collected food items that were donated to the Houston Food Bank as well. Family Career and Community Leaders of America members assisted Morton Ranch Elementary staff by helping with the 9th annual Glow Run. High School students ran, danced, and helped to distribute healthy snacks to families who participated in the Glow Run. The Glow Run helped to promote physical fitness and wellness among the students and their families.

FCCLA members continued to give back to the community in December. The community service project helped to make dreams come true. Members did this by adopting two young elementary students and purchasing their entire Christmas wish list. FCCLA members enjoyed the chance to shop for a child, while also spreading cheer during the holiday season.

The spring semester is scheduled to be just as busy with community service projects addressing cultural diversity, organ donation, and promoting family health and wellness. Students will also be traveling to Galveston and Dallas for the Regional and State Leadership Meetings. This is where FCCLA members from across the state will gather to network and compete against one another in STAR Events. STAR Events allow the members to be recognized for proficiency and achievement in chapter and individual projects, leadership skills, and career preparation which they have worked on all year long.

1 Comment

One Response to “Morton Ranch High School: Family Career & Community Leaders of America Makes a Difference in Other’s Lives”

1. Amado Velasco on August 23rd, 2018 7:26 am

I want to join your club. I have a great event planned with Citizens for Animal Protection. So far I have the theatre company on board and will speak to NHS. Please reach out to tell me more on how I can join. I am a MRHS Senior and want to do something great for our furry friends.

Amado Velasco
    832-794-1577

*

• Morton Ranch High School: Family Career & Community Leaders of America Makes a Difference in Other’s Lives

Around the Ranch

Eight Brains Are Better Than One

Around the Ranch

A Great Debater

Around the Ranch

Not a Lazy Susan

Around the Ranch

The Music in Me: Rene Juarez reflects on his accomplishments, future in music

Around the Ranch

The Mustached Man With the Most

Around the Ranch

The Beauty of ASL

Clubs

What it takes to be a MRHS Stepper

• Clubs

Reading at the Ranch

• Clubs

MRHS Supports Breast Cancer Awareness

• Clubs

PALS